The first is a dessert that I put together for our small group this past Sunday. I based it off the Fancy Shmancy Krispies recpie on the Cookies and Cups blog. These actually turned out really well and had more flavor than a typical rice krispie treat.
1/4 cup salted butter
1 (10.5) oz bag mini marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1) Over medium-low heat, melt your butter. Once melted, continue to cook until it turns brown.
Note: I ran out of patients and probably took it off a little too soon, but a regular RKT only calls for the butter to be melted. For more tips on browning the butter, see original recipe via the link provided above.
2) Add marshmallows and pumpkin pie spice to melted butter and stir until marshmallows are melted.
3) Remove from heat and stir in rice krispies
4) Once combined, spread the mixture into your pan (see tips below).
1) Original recipe suggests spraying a sheet of parchment paper with cookie spray and then pressing the mixture into the pan, I used my hands instead and then a spoon to even it out (cheaper and less to clean up / throw away).
2) Original recipe suggests using a 9x9 pan. I used a 9x13 and get thinner treats but they went further.3) For a more festive look, add sprinkles. After pressing down the mixture, use the sprinkles of your choice over the top and press in by hand (so they don't fall off when eating). I first tried pressing them in with a spoon but the spoon crushed the sprinkles.
SynopsisThe treats were a nice treat ;) - they had more flavor than your standard RKT but still reminded you of the treat we all love so well! I would most definitely make these again and maybe even try it with Apple Pie Spice next time!
Andrew's Rating: 3.5 out of 5
*Not a huge fan of rice krispie treats in general. Regular ones are like a 2 out of 5 in his book
Becki's Rating: 4 out of 5