Thursday, October 18, 2012

Homemade Chili Mac (Hamburger Helper)

I got the idea of making my own hamburger helper from a post on the Chickens In The Road Blog. So I finally got around to making one of them tonight.

Here is what you need for my version:
















Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1.5 cups elbow macaroni
2 1/4 cups of water
3/4 cup of milk
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can of kidney beans
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese *Note: This measurement is from original recipe, I didn't measure)

Seasoning Packet: (you can make these ahead of time and store in ziplock baggies)
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp sugar

Steps:
1) brown the meat, then drain.
2) Add macaroni, water, milk, tomatoes, kidney beans, and the seasoning packet ingredients.
3) Stir and let simmer for 12-20 minutes. (I'm not sure how long I left mine on b/c I was making a cake too. Just make sure noodles and beans are soft)
4) Add shredded cheese on top and serve.

Final Product:
















Synopsis:

It was a little bit on the spicy side for me so I might reduce the amount of chili powder next time. A dallop of sour cream might also make it a little less spicy. However, most people would probably consider the amount just fine as I'm a wuss with chili powder. I did have it stick to the bottom of the pan a little. Not sure if that was due to leaving it on the stove too long (paying attention to making the cake and frosting) or because it needed a little more liquid so just keep an eye on it if you try and make sure you don't burn it! :)

Andrew's Ruling: 4 out of 5

Becki's Ruling: 3 out of 5
Little spicy, but not too bad, and it tasted really good. 

Austin's Ruling:  0 out of 5
Ate one bit, wouldn't open mouth for a second.

3 comments:

  1. did you cover it when you simmered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't have a lid big enough for the pan I used. Now that you mention that, I'm wondering if that's why it got a little dry and "burned"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried it tonight. We agree that it was good, but it lacked something. Sour cream helped, so I think I'll try it again, stirring some sour cream right into the sauce during the 5 minute rest time. I put a lid on it while simmering, and it didn't get dried out :) Thanks! it was nice to have a meal that didn't take a whole lot of time or effort :)

    ReplyDelete

Please do not post comments that may be considered rude or offensive.