Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken - My Style



Disclaimer #1 - pictures are crap because I was in a HUGE hurry today due to my new exercise class at church!

I found this recipe on via pinterest from SkinnyTaste.com (original recipe) and have been interested in trying it for quite some time now.  Plus it helped me use up some of the stuff I opened in the Cornbread Taco Pizza recipe from earlier this week.

Please note that the items in red are things I have changed from the original

Ingredients:
24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast (used frozen)
14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (10 oz)
15 oz can black beans
8 oz frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (omitted)
14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth (used 10oz of frozen chicken broth, thawed)
3 scallions, chopped (used minced onion, maybe a couple tbsp)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin (1/2 tsp cumin)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)  (omitted)
salt to taste (omitted)
Seasoned Salt
Shredded Cheese
Lettuce
Sour Cream

Directions:

  • Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the slow cooker. I drained everything before putting in the pot.


  • Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. This is where I put seasoned salt on the chicken.
  • Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. I cooked on high for 5 hours and 15 minutes.
  • Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shredAt about 4.5 hours I was able to shred the chicken and did not remove it from the pot.

  • Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. 
  • Adjust salt and seasoning. I didn't add anything to mine. Canned items already have a lot of salt. :P
  • Serve over rice or in a tortilla. We were using tortilla shells so I took out some left over lettuce and shredded cheese and some sour cream. All optional but I liked it with those things.

Finished Product:

For those of you that want the recipe without all my crazy notes... here is just what I did with it.


Ingredients:
24 oz (1 1/2) lbs frozen chicken breast 
10 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (rotel)
15 oz can black beans
8 oz frozen corn
10 oz frozen chicken broth, thawed
2-3 tbsp of minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
Seasoned Salt
Shredded Cheese
Lettuce
Sour Cream


Directions:

Drain/rinse beans, corn, tomatoes and tomatoes. 
Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, minced onion, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin, in the slow cooker.
Season chicken breast with seasoned salt and lay atop the mixture in the slow cooker.
Cook on low 4-6 hours (mine took about 5 hours)
Half hour before serving, shred the chicken in the pot and stir all ingredients.

Serve in a tortilla with lettuce, cheese, and sour cream.


2 comments:

  1. Did it pass the "hungry man test"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure. I only had one taco and was full even after my class. Andrew had two and didn't mention anything about being hungry. There is still a whole rectangle ziploc container leftover too.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not post comments that may be considered rude or offensive.