1 cup sliced mushroom - approximately 2 cans
1 cup chopped onion - I substituted minced onion and used about 2 tbsp (not a fan of onion texture but love the taste)
1 cup chopped broccoli - approximately 1/2 a bag
1/3 cup miracle whip
1/3 cup milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese - I used regular cheddar
Pie Crust Ingredients:
** Above recipe calls for 1 frozen deep dish pie crust, I just didn't want to buy what I could make myself.**
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
2 tbsp water*
Steps for making pie crust:
1) Mix flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
2) Cut in vegetable shortening with knife or pastry blender (I just used my kitchenaid) until crumbly
3) Add the 2 tbsp of water until mixture holds together. Continue adding 1 tbsp at a time if your dough needs more.
4) Shape dough into a ball, place on lightly floured counter, and roll out with rolling pin until 1/8" thick.
5) place in pie pan and trim edges as desired.
Picture is a little dark and the shape is a little sloppy but it tasted right!
Steps for making Quiche:
1) preheat oven to 375
2) place vegetables in skillet with small amount of oil until vegetables are tender. Then remove from heat, and set aside.
3) Whisk eggs, dressing, and milk in medium bowl until well blended.
4) Stir in vegetables & cheese, then pour into pie shelll.
5) Place dish on baking sheet (to protect oven from sloshing) and bake for 40-45 minutes (until center is set.
|Quiche right before entering the oven|
1) If making your own pie crust, you may want to put the crust in the oven for a little bit prior to adding quiche ingredients. the middle of our crust was not done but the quiche was when we took it out. I'm not sure if it would do the same thing with a froze crust or not.
2) I thought the miracle whip flavor was a bit over powering. The next time I make this, I plan on reducing the amount of that, and adding an egg in its place.
Both Andrew and I thought this was really good. After I mentioned slightly over powering miracle whip taste, he realized that he also tasted it (so its fairly minor but I'm not a huge fan of that flavor anyway). So, I plan on using Tip #2 the next time I make it.
Andrew's Ruling: 4 out of 5
Becki's Ruling: 4 out of 5
Potentially great, with the right adjustments
Austin's Ruling: 5 out of 5
Minus the mushrooms, he wouldn't stop eating ours (this was after he already had dinner!)