Saturday, October 27, 2012

Apple Cider Donuts

Inspired by the taste of home recipe for Gluten Free Apple Cider Donuts, I thought I would make my first go at making doughnuts. I should have known better! :P

Picture courtesy of Taste of Home


My first attempt was done without a doughnut pan. I used a muffin tin and aluminum foil "dowels" in order to make holes in them. The batter came out pretty much like a muffin and didn't bake right. The tops were a little hard, the bottoms were mush. Granted, I read the recipe wrong and put 2 times the amount of batter in each muffin tin as what the recipe called for. So it could have been my fault. The batter tasted amazing though so I went out and found myself a doughnut pan.

My second attempt, the batter baked correctly (see picture below).

Picture taking after they were done baking, and sitting in the oven to keep warm. 
The actual doughnuts themselves were pretty tasty. However, the glaze looked NOTHING like the picture on the Taste of Home website. I was kind of disappointed. It was runny (both times we made it) and didn't really lay atop the doughnut as much as it seeped into, thus only leaving a very thin "clear coat" on the doughnut. Highly disappointing considering the picture on T of H looked more like a frosting. The glaze was also borderline sour after reducing the apple cider to flavor it. It complemented the doughnut flavor but still seemed a little off to us.


Synopsis:
This is one of those recipes that looked GREAT that just didn't play out well. More than likely, I will not try this again unless I find a reason for why they turned out poorly.

Andrew's Rating: n/a
Right out of the oven, they taste great. After cool down, they loose a lot of flavor


Becki's Rating: 2 out of 5
Great muffins, not so great doughnuts

As for the recipe -  if you're interested in trying it, I followed the TofH  recipe to a T which is linked at the top of the post.

2 comments:

  1. It might just be my eyes, because I have this problem a lot - but where is the link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I think I forgot it! http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Gluten-Free-Apple-Cider-Doughnuts

      Delete

Please do not post comments that may be considered rude or offensive.