Friday, January 25, 2013

Fluffy Pancakes

Contributor photo from allrecipes

One more for you today. I made these pancakes a few days ago and I think I finally got the recipe "right."  The original recipe is, once again, on allrecipes. I highly suggest making a double batch. Worst case scenario, you have some for the following morning.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of milk
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 cup flour
2 tbsp white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg (I used egg substitute)
2 tbsp butter melted (or more)
Cooking Spray (optional)


Directions:

Mix milk and vinegar, set aside for 5 minutes
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
Whisk egg and melted butter into soured milk
Pour flour mixture into liquid mixer and whisk until all lumps are gone
Heat large skillet on stove.
Pour 1/4 cup portions of batter into pan
Flip pancake once it starts to bubble on top

Tips:

1. My batter was REALLY thick so I spread it out with a spoon after I poured to make the pancake a little wider. They still came out thick and fluffy. Very similar to the photo above.
2. Andrew mentioned they could use a little more butter to draw out that flavor a little more.
3. KEY TIP - Add vanilla to the liquid mixture. I put a few drops twice (double batch). It gave the pancakes just a little more flavor.

Summary:

Recipe was well liked by all and probably the most by Austin who has been eating them for breakfast. I think with a slightly stronger buttery flavor with the vanilla they would be perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Something else that might add flavor is using buttermilk instead of the milk/vinegar mixture. The milk and vinegar combine to be become thick and help to leaven the pancakes. But buttermilk has a distinct flavor that the milk/vinegar mixture can't replicate :) For maximum frugality when it comes to buttermilk, you can freeze what you have leftover in ice cube trays and use as needed, or you can buy it in powdered form that will last indefinitely in the fridge. I never liked buying buttermilk for just one recipe and having the rest of it go bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know buttermilk came in powder form! Aldi doesn't carry it :P
    Do you think the pancakes would still be thick and fluffy?

    ReplyDelete

Please do not post comments that may be considered rude or offensive.