Of course I had to change it some...
1 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp minced onion
1/4 tsp paprika
1.5 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp water
4 burrito tortillas (or 8 taco tortillas)
Oil (for frying)
1/2 can of refried beans
4 tbsp (aprox) of pureed salsa
1 cup taco cheese
1/4 cup diced tomato / rotel
Note: On the spices (salt, black pepper, onion, paprika, & chili powder) I never measured them I just sprinkled a little bit in. Except the onion which I used probably 1/8 cup instead of the 1/4 tsp.
Steps: Part 1
1) Brown the ground beef, drain grease
2) Add salt, black pepper, onion, paprika, chili powder, and water. (Taco seasons packet would work too)
3) Simmer for 8-10 minutes
4) Heat up the oil in a frying pan (bigger than the tortillas you're using) on med-high heat
5) Fry each tortilla for about 45 seconds on each side
Assembling the pizza: by Layers
2) Refried beans - cover tortilla
3) Ground beef mixture (I used a little less than 1/2 for each)
5) 2 tbsp of pureed salsa - or enough to cover the shell (the puree allows for easy spreading)
6) Handful of diced tomatoes/rotel
7) Sprinkle with the cheese
Once assembled, place in the oven at 400 for approximately 8 minutes (enough to melt the cheese)
1) Serve with lettuce and sour cream
2) You can substitute your own taco seasoning or a taco seasoning packet for the Salt, pepper, paprika, onion, and chili powder.
Synopsis:This tasted really good but probably could have used a little more seasoning than I put in. The amounts above are for 1/2 lb of meat (as the original recipe calls for) but I wasn't thinking about that, I was just sprinkling a little because I don't like spicy things. I will probably use my own taco seasoning the next time.
Andrew's Rating: 4 out of 5
Meat could have used a little more seasoning.
Becki's Rating: 4 out of 5
Just needed a little more flavor in the meat.
Austin's Rating: didn't try it.
Red Beans & Rice (side dish)The original recipe came from the campbellskitchen website.
1 cup white rice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
10oz can of chicken broth
1 1/4 cup water
3/4 cup salsa (pureed)
1 tsp chili powder (I used less, we don't like spicy)
1 can kidney beans
1 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
Sour Cream (optional)
1) Heat oil in a 10 inch frying pan over med-high heat
2) Add rice and stir until lightly browned
3) Add broth, water, salsa, and chili powder - Heating to a boil
4) Reduce heat to low, simmer covered for about 15 minutes
5) Stir in the beans and sprinkle - cook for 5 more minutes
6) Stir in the cheese and serve
Synopsis:Ours came out mushy by the time it absorbed the water. I did you a little too much (1.5 cups instead of 1.25 cups) so that was part of it. I also don't think it really needed the cheese but it does give it a more mild flavor.
would rate it because he is not a rice fan.
Becki: 3 out of 5
I think I would have preferred it without the cheese and a little less mushy! :)
Austin: loved it.