Thursday, January 5, 2017
Broccoli Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet
I tried a new and rather different meal than we're used to over here yesterday and have to say, it turned out amazing! The original recipe can be found HERE but I altered it a bit when I found out the asparagus I bought the day prior was already bad. Also, of note, the recipe only serves 4 so if you're a bigger family you might want to increase it. It fed Andrew, Myself, and Ty with enough left over for almost a full lunch. But it was tasty as all get out, so well worth it!
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced (I was out of minced so I used powder)
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
1/2 lb broccoli (steamed or thawed)
optional: red chili flakes, salt, pepper
1. Cut your chicken into pieces, season with salt and pepper if desired.
2. In a skillet on medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, and chicken. Saute the chicken 7-10 minutes or until cooked. Set chicken aside.
3. In the same skillet, add sweet potato and chicken broth.
4. Cook for about 7-10 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked.
5. Add the broccoli and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
6. Season with salt, pepper, and red chili flakes.
- Cut down prep time by freezing your chicken in pieces. They also thaw quickly that way.
- Keep the sodium down by using a broth with no sodium (meijer has it).
- I used a steam bag of broccoli for this recipe and steamed it. I only needed half for the recipe so I have the other half to go with dinner the next night.