Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tater Tot Casserole

Well, I'm going back to the basics here. I got in a bit of a habit of always doing mexican style meals with ground beef (or sloppy joes) so I figured I'd go back other things made with ground beef. Which actually took me a while to figure out what they were again. But here it is the FAMOUS (ok not really) tater tot casserole. 




Ingredients:
1 can cream mushroom

1 bag tater tots
1 lb ground beef
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1/4 can milk (use the soup can)

Worcestershire Sauce

Directions:
Brown meat over the stove, drain fat off
Drizzle worcestershire sauce over the cooked meat (to add flavor)
Mix in bag of vegetables & cream of mushroom soup
If you want a creamier mixture, add a little milk. I ended up using about a 1/4 of a can. 
Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan
Layer tater tots over top
Bake at 425 for 25 minutes

See, wasn't that easy?
As for how it tastes, its yummy food like mamma used to make :) I used to make it without the worcestershire sauce but I will say the sauce adds a nice flavor to the meat mixture. Austin liked the tater tots and picked those off but he's been pretty picky lately. 

Tips & Suggestions:

  • Sprinkle cheese over the top 5 minutes before you pull it out of the oven. I have done that in the past and it's yummy but when cutting back on calories, the cheese didn't make the cut this time. :)
  • Add onion in with the ground beef. This would add a little more flavor but I'm not a huge fan of onion so I don't use it often.
  • Change up the vegetables. You don't have to use mixed, just use whatever you have on hand.

Nutrition Info: (8 servings)
Calories: 406
Fat: 20
Carbs: 37
Protein: 18
Sodium: 866
Sugar: 3

Cost Analysis: 
Ground Beef/Pork/Chicken/Turkey - $2 to $5
Tater Tots - $1.89
Cream of Mushroom - $.59
Mixed Vegetables - $1.05
Vit D Milk - staple
Worcestershire Sauce - staple
Total for Meal: $3.53 + Meat ($5.53 to $8.53)
Per Serving: Between $.69 and 1.07
*These are estimates and are not guaranteed* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that may be considered rude or offensive.